Digital Black & White Photography & Photo Processing Workshop
When: To be announced. Please check back later
Creating photography in black and white presents unique challenges for both a novice photographer and those with some experience in digital imaging. A strong understanding of photography’s fundamentals is critical to capturing images that translate beautifully as black and white images. Black and white photography means understanding contrast and lighting which can be drastically different from colour photography.
Develop a superior understanding of what makes a great black & white (B&W) image, visualize it and shoot it in B&W. Understand the basic transitions of colour into grey scale and control the process–Digital Zone System. Pre-visualizing for contrast and tone–producing the highest quality B&W photographs–will be covered.
- Understanding the process and developing a vision
- Shooting for Black & White – Camera settings, the histogram, the step tablet
- RAW processing strategies for B&W
- Colour Management for B & W
- Other B&W conversion techniques
- Further enhancements using Photoshop layers
- Toning Black & White
- Evaluating and anticipating density in the final print
- Plug-ins for Black & White (Nik Silver Efex Pro)
This workshop is designed for those with a good understanding of their camera equipment and are familiar with the fundamentals of the picture taking process as well as a reasonable understanding of Photoshop basics. This is not an introduction to Photoshop workshop.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Camera with manual controls
- Your favourite lenses
- Filters – not required, though if you have any, may be an asset
- Laptop with Adobe Photoshop (CC or CS6) for day 3 only. Please ensure this is installed before the 3rd. day of class
- pen & paper for note taking
Day 1 – Shooting Methodologies (6 hours)
- We will have a detailed dialogue on the shooting methodologies exclusively for B & W.
- 2-3 hour studio session with one model.
Day 2 – Shooting methodologies (4 Hours)
- Outdoor/landscape shooting
Day 3 – Photo processing methodologies
- Your photos from day 1 and day 2 already installed/downloaded on your laptop
- RAW & BW processing
- Photoshop BW processing
- NIK Silver Effex Pro